Popped amaranth can be easily blended into a nutritious flour to make this delicious high protein, gluten free, zebra bread.
This easy to follow recipe is perfect if you're looking for a healthy zebra bread to satiate your cravings thanks to all the health benefits of amaranth.
This is the very easy to follow recipe:
- 1.7 ounces amaranth flour*
- 1.7 ounces almond flour
- 1.7 ounces wheat flour
- 1 ounce cocoa powder (sugar-free)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/6 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/6 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
1. Add the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk and let stand for 10 minutes to form Buttermilk.
2. In a bowl sift the wheat flour, the baking powder and the cornstarch.
3. Add amaranth flour, almond flour and salt. Mix well and set aside.
4.Soften the butter by heating for 15 to 20 seconds in the microwave.
5. In a bowl integrate the butter with the sugar.
6. Add the eggs one bye one with the help of a balloon whisk.
7. Add the vanilla essence and integrate.
8. Gradually add the dry ingredients (suggested in 3 portions) and the buttermilk until the lumps dissolve.
9. Take 1/3 of the dough in another bowl and set aside.
10. Heat the water for 2 minutes in the microwave or add more time to boil.
11.Add the cocoa and integrate until completely diluted and that no lumps are visible.
12.Add the resulting chocolate to the 1/3 preparation we separate.
13.In a pan put tablespoons of vanilla dough with the chocolate dough as if we were drawing a chess board. Repeat.
14. Finally insert a knife and draw a spiral delicately.
15.Bake for 40 to 60 minutes at 356 °F. Do not open the oven within 40 minutes.