Popped amaranth, in combination with tuna which is one of the most nutritious and versatile ingredients for making creative recipes, lets us make a crunchy and flavorful dish which is a great choice as an entree, snack or main course.
Amaranth is an ancestral superfood with over 3,000 years as a wheat alternative. It is a nutritious superfood rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants. Regarded by the World Health Organization as a solution to malnutrition and world hunger.
We are engaged in creating a sustainable environment. Every purchase contributes to Amaranthy’s effort to improve the health, economic and social conditions of native communities in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico. We assist and support a nonprofit organization that teaches the life cycle and harvest of amaranth, benefiting communities of the Central Valley of Oaxaca with a healthy, nutritious food and a sustainable business model for sales and distribution of the amaranth they grow and harvest.
- 2 pieces of tuna fish (vacuum packed and frozen)
- 1 tablespoon paprika or sweet pepper
- 1/6 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 5.3 ounces amaranth flour*
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1/2 cup soy with lemon juice
- 4 cups vegetable oil (16 oz)
- 1 avocado, sliced or small cubes
- Flour or Corn tortillas
- Blend the amaranth until flour consistency is obtained.
- Allow the tuna fish to be defrosted 50% without removing the bag. They can be changed from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before or soaked in water at room temperature a few minutes before.
- Remove from the bag and cut the tuna into small cubes of similar size.
- Add soy and lemon juice in a bowl and marinate the tuna cubes for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the tuna in a strainer after marinating time.
- Add amaranth flour, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pass the tuna cubes through the flour mixture until completely covered.
- Remove excess flour with a strainer. The result is a light, lump-free layer.
- Heat the oil for about 15 minutes should be very hot before use.
- Fry tuna fish in portions for 2 minutes and remove.
- Serve hot in tacos with avocado and hot sauce.